Sunday, April 25, 2010

Vanity

The way my room is set up right now is pretty perfect: big bed, huge dresser, closet, sitting space, bookshelves... but there isn't space for much else. If I had a huge room, or maybe just more wall space (I have a corner room with 3 windows), I would start shopping in earnest for a vanity table.



The pictures are of two vanities I saw in antique stores in the Cherokee Row Antique District. The first one is really my ideal table. It has a huge mirror and drawers to fit all of my make-up and hair accessories. Maybe I want one of these because I've watched old movies where all of the best female lead characters are shown getting ready at their vanity tables. Maybe it's my practical side showing: it would be nice to have a place to just sit while I get ready, instead of rushing around like a crazy person running around half dressed between my room and the bathroom. Also, standing in the bathroom and leaning over the sink to get close to the mirror just doesn't make sense. Women, why do we do this?! There is a perfectly good piece of furniture that facilitates a relaxed pre-event environment. I'm going to wager that if I have a vanity table to get ready at, I will be less anxious when I am getting ready to go out, and might actually make time to get ready in the morning. I've already got an image in my head of me as the elegant Greta Garbo living in high society Paris in the movie Camille (except I won't die of TB in the end).

No comments:

Post a Comment